Okay, I talk endlessly about my love of Scarface. I don’t even know how many times I’ve seen it, so let’s put it this way, I don’t know if I’ve eaten Chipotle more times or watched Scarface more times. Yep, that much.
But something is getting lost in my endless love of Scarface and how much I talk about it. There are a number of quality movies which strike an intimate, even feminine chord that REAL gangsters should watch, especially those of the male persuasion. Therefore, for every time you watch Scarface, I recommend you watch or rewatch one of the movies on this list.
- A Passage to India. My favorite movie of all-time, captures that invisible, impossible chasm between East and West that once was (and may still be)
- Driving Miss Daisy. The only thing missing is a sex scene. Just kidding, or am I?
- Steel Magnolias. Heartbreaking and uplifting, the friendships we should always aspire to.
- Fried Green Tomatoes. I can cry just thinking about it. Again, friendship.
- The Bridges of Madison County. If you really love, you can walk away.
- The Notebook. It still pisses me off it made me cry, but it did.
- The African Queen. Katherine Hepburn is so hot she could be a sauce.
- The Joy Luck Club. The ultimate movie to make me cry. Perhaps my second favorite movie on this list.
- Dr. Zhivago. Lara’s Theme still gets me.
- Citizen Kane. The ultimate episode of Hoarders, in romance and other things. Rosebud may be the most powerful symbol in all of cinema history.
And if there is a special person in your life, these are perfect movies to watch with them.
I thank my Mother for introducing me to a lot of these movies at a young age.